Before My Surgery:
Before your scheduled surgery, you will receive an e-mail and/or text message with:
- Arrival Time
- Special Instructions on completing a pre-registration questionnaire
If you have not received any e-mails or text messages within 24 hours of your surgery or if you are unable to complete the questionnaire, or if you have any additional questions, please call us at 651.493.0343 between the hours of 8am – 4pm M-F.
Food and Drink
Unless directed by your surgeon, please do not take: aspirin, NSAIDS like Advil, Aleve, ibuprofen, Coumadin, or oral hypoglycemic medication for diabetes.
Adults and children over 12 years:
- No solid foods eight (8) hours before arrival. (This includes chewing gum)
- You may have small sips of water up to two (2) hours prior to arrival time.
Consult with your physician regarding taking any insulin or any medications. Oral medications may be taken with a small sip of water on the morning of your surgery.
Children less than 12 years:
- No solid foods eight (8) hours before arrival. May have formula six (6) hours and breast mild four (4) hours before arrival.
- May have small sips of water or CLEAR liquids up to two (2) hours prior to arrival.
Consult your physician regarding taking any medications. Oral medications may be taken with a small sip of water on the morning of surgery.
Alcohol, Smoking, Nicotine Products:
Do not drink alcohol for at least 24 hours prior to surgery.
No Tobacco, No Smoking, No Nicotine 24 hours prior to surgery. (This includes chewing tobacco, nicotine gum, e-cig, etc.)
Take a shower or bath the night before surgery. Use the soap your surgeon gave you to gently clean your skin. If you do not have soap from your surgeon, use your regular soap. Do not shave or scrub the surgery site. Wear clean pajamas and have clean sheets on your bed. The morning of surgery, take an additional shower and wash your hair.
Bring any glasses or hearing aids. Contact lenses should not be worn.
No make-up, nail polish, perfume, lotion, anti-perspirant/deodorant, or hair products.
Remove and leave jewelry at home, including body piercings.
Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Please leave valuables at home.
Notify The Center & Your Surgeon If:
- You have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
- You are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
What You Need The Day Of The Surgery:
- Information To Bring: Photo ID, Insurance cards, Prescription card, Medicare or Medical Assistance information, worker’s compensation information.
- Driver: You must plan to have a responsible adult drive you home. Do not plan to use taxis or other public transportation.
- Responsible Adult: A friend, relative or dedicated caregiver over the age of 18 MUST stay with you for 24 hours.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for all patients 17 years of age and younger and dependent adults.
- Care For Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care for, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If your or your family/friend cannot read, speak English, or use sign language, a qualified interpreter free of charge will be provided in order to provide meaningful access and effective communication.
*For your safety, it is important to follow these instructions or your surgery may be delayed or cancelled.